Posted Monday, September 9, 2019
Salary: Salary depending on experience
Purpose of the Position:
The Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce is seeking an Executive Director who can achieve board objectives; maintain and improve the chamber's financial stability, manage staff and membership and represent the chamber to various other organizations.
Cherokee County, established in 1897, enjoys a thriving and profitable local economy and an abundance of natural and manufactured resources. It sits in a prime location just off I-85 between Charlotte, NC and Greenville/Spartanburg, with 55,000 residents who call this county home. Established in 1947, The Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce has a proud heritage and long history of being a unifying voice for the business community. Its primary mission is to be an advocate for its members by promoting the growth of business, industry, and community. The Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce has over 300 members who share a common desire for business and community success and development of a stronger, more vibrant, and resourceful Chamber of Commerce.
The Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce is looking for an energetic, innovative, and experienced Executive Director (ED) with vision, passion, and proven leadership abilities to help businesses thrive within our community. The ED serves as a key community leader who provides strategic and operational direction. This person drives fundraising, marketing, and public relations in collaboration with the Board of Directors and Chamber members. The new ED will have an opportunity to bring new strategies, ideas, and services to our chamber. The ED will also strive to grow relationships and membership, increase revenues, and elevate our organization in the area as our community grows.
The Executive Director functions as the chief executive officer of the Cherokee County Chamber of Commerce and reports to the Board of Directors. The ED ensures the effective operation of the Chamber while coordinating all organizational activities including programs, membership, relationships with external organizations, employment, training, customer service, supervision of staff and volunteers, and execution of the annual budget. The ED promotes partnerships and networking between local businesses, education, health care, government, and other organizations to build a strong economy. The ED’s role is to encourage growth in membership through advocacy and to educate the community about the benefits and advantages of a Chamber investment.
- Representation– Acts as primary spokesperson for the organization and works closely with the Board of Directors. Represents the Chamber at various community events and meetings to ensure a positive public image. Develops, maintains, and updates the Chamber website, social media, and other media outlets.
- Program of Work–Works with the Board of Directors to develop and maintain a long-term strategic plan, organize committees and resources to execute the plan, and identifies the programs that will ensure the successful delivery of services to the Chamber and community. Assists the Board President in developing the Chamber’s annual Program of Work as well as selecting appropriate committees and chairpersons in a timely manner. Maintains and develops reports and present statistics of value to the Board. Utilizes continuous improvement processes to increase efficiencies and focus resources in areas of greatest importance to program and community goals.
- Chamber Structure, Policy, and Procedure Development– Leads the Chamber to ensure it functions with maximum efficiency and community impact. As established by the Board of Directors, assists committees, members, volunteers, and staff in the interpretation of policies that promote the vision and mission of the organization. Identifies and implements solutions to challenges that face the Chamber and community. Advises the Board on organizational structure and internal operating procedures.
- Finances– Works with the Budget & Finance Committee and Board of Directors to develop an annual budget that is fiscally responsible –related to program goals and objectives established by the Board. Manages all expenditures within the framework of the budget including employee payroll, expenses, and taxes. Is accountable for growth in revenue and responsible spending. Monitors the preparation and ensures accuracy of the financial report statements presented to the Board.
- Membership– Responsible for developing and implementing recruitment and retention strategies to increase membership and retain existing members. Involves Board members, staff and volunteers in possible annual membership campaigns. Provides annual report detailing strategies and results. Implements strategies to improve member satisfaction.
- Staff– Responsible for the hiring, and supervision of the Chamber staff, assigning their duties, overseeing work completed, and establishing terms of employment within the framework of the approved budget. Implements personnel policies, conducts performance evaluations, and plans for participation in service training to further develop work skills. Demonstrates effective coaching skills and inspires staff to do their best work.
- Facilities– Responsible for the location, design, and maintenance of facilities which will provide an efficient operation and positive image for the Chamber organization.
Board of Directors
- Effectively communicates, supports, and updates members on Chamber activities and events.
- Assists Board Chair in planning, developing, and executing Board workshops as needed.
- Responsible for developing meeting agendas, board minutes, and maintaining organization records.
- Ensures that the Chamber policies, as established by the Board, are properly recorded and documented in a policy manual.
- Assists the Board in preparation of statements of Chamber position on public issues.
- Effectively collaborates with board members to achieve outlined goals and objectives; resolves issues effectively and guides the organization to new heights.
- Provides orientation for all new Board Members.
- Works with the Board Chair, Secretary, & Treasurer to develop meeting agendas, minutes & reports and presents such information in a timely manner to board members prior to board meetings.
- Is responsible for maintaining all organizational records
- Promotes membership growth and retention through advocacy and service.
- Motivates members to support personal and financial commitment to the activities and events of the organization.
- Analyzes and interprets the needs of members and recommends revisions in programs to improve services and assist with adding value to Chamber membership.
- Assists members to develop ideas and create proposals translating concepts into action plans that will promote achievement of organizational goals
- Encourages chamber members to champion leadership initiatives.
- Develops strong partnerships and makes connections with businesses, government organizations, and community members on behalf of the Chamber.
- Promotes the business climate, encourages quality of life and tourism, and advocates for the county’s well-being.
- Represents the chamber at appropriate meetings, events, and media sources, serving as close liaison with all groups, acting as a spokesperson on pertinent issues.
- Utilizes effective communication skills to counsel and advise on development of programs and activities affecting the business community.
- Reviews and evaluates legislation which will impact the Chamber’s goals and policies, and discusses action with committees and the Board for study and future action.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Characteristics:
- Demonstrates enthusiasm for the role and a desire to lead the organization to goal achievement.
- Makes responsible and ethical decisions.
- Experience working with a governing board, or with a board run organization.
- Experience planning and facilitating events with a proven track record in non-profit or for-profit organizations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with attention to detail.
- Experience as a successful leader.
- Demonstrated computer experience is essential with clear examples of proficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to manage financial processes used in non-profit organizations.
- Strong organizational leadership skills.
- Demonstrated marketing, media, and promotions skills.
- Familiar with marketing, advertising, government relations, social media, web platforms, web design, and/or cloud services that can enhance Chamber success.
- Able to build and maintain a trusted and respected presence in the community.
- Demonstrates creativity and shares innovative ideas.
- College degree in business, management or related field. Bachelor’s degree or higher, preferred.
- Three years of experience in work related to Chamber of Commerce leadership activities. Experience in non-profits, trade organizations or a chamber of commerce, preferred.
- Cherokee County resident preferred.
- Chamber After Hours
- Chamber Ambassadors
- Government & Economic Affairs (Upstate Chamber Coalition)
- Leadership Cherokee
- Chamber Junior Ambassadors Club
- Hall of Success
- Annual Banquet
- Annual Retreat/Conference
- Friday Features
- Chamber 101
- Legislative Function
- Small Business Week
- Christmas at the Chamber
- Manufacturers Week
- Fireworks over Lake Whelchel
- Minority Business Accelerator (Greenville Chamber Greater Upstate Initiative – in the works)
- Launch Cherokee (school district partnership – in the works)
- Freightliner RV Rally (in the works)
How to apply: For first consideration, apply by September 20th. Email your résumé to email@example.com